Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Okay, here we go... back to Memphis!!


My room is in chaos. There are Christmas decorations and “seasonally appropriate animals” festively strewn about my room, there’s a packed suitcase, an empty suitcase, and things all around me that will soon be in boxes (hopefully). My animals sit happily in my window, suggesting to the world outside that this room is full of peace and delight and rest. It is. But I’m moving.

I’m moving to Memphis.

Still the thought of it is surreal, and I keep waiting for the moment I realize it was crazy and I'm not actually moving. I know I’ve done this before, but it’s not the same. This time is very different for two main reasons: 1) I don’t know when I’m coming back, and 2) two weeks ago I thought I would be in Colorado until June-ish.

A whirlwind of change accelerated me through the holidays, and I sit here on January 2 feeling like it is still December 5.

I think I know where I will live, and I have prospects for jobs. But if I’m being honest with myself, I really have no idea what is about to happen. All I know is that it is time. That phrase kept coming up as I prayed and spoke with people. It is time. It’s a gentle and exciting invitation to step now into what I thought was coming back in August.

What awaits me on the other side of Friday’s drive? I haven’t the slightest, but I know God well enough to believe that it will be lovely and good and challenging and… awesome. Even if I fail big time and have to move back home after a month, I am ready and excited to go. It is absolutely worth it to try, and I am deeply grateful to have my family and friends here behind me, sad to see me go but more than that: excited to see what God has in store down this road.

Speaking of the road, Rhonda (the Honda) had a flat tire last night, but after minor surgery (at midnight – thanks Dad) and a trip to the mechanic for a new tire, full inspection, and re-alignment, my noble steed is running as well as ever in all of her 112,000-mile glory!

It’s time to finish packing, to say final goodbyes, and to embrace with reckless abandon this new adventure.

 Happy new year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment